Is there something better than pita bread? Well, of course there is.
Things like pasta, pizza, focaccia or even mini breads with olives & oregano, and so on. These are only a few. But, if I really crave for pita bread, at that time it seems the best thing.
If you haven’t eaten a souvlaki until now, you should. Made at home. By you. It all starts with the pita breads.
Recipe at a Glance
The recipe is quite easy. There’s no need for many ingredients or any special skills.
Even if you’re just a beginner in baking, you can still make delicious pita breads at home.
Let’s get started.
- 1 cup water,
- 3 cups white flour,
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast,
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon sugar,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
1. Start by adding all the ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer and select the dough cycle (you can also make the dough by hand).
2. Remove the dough from the bread maker and let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size, it will take up to two hours.
3. Spread flour on your working station and some on your hands and flatten the dough using your hands.
4. Cut the dough into small pieces and transform the pieces into rounded balls by using your hands.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll out the small rounded balls until they’re 1/4 inches thick.
6. Bake them in the oven or use a frying pan. The dough will start to puff, that’s when you know the pita breads are done.
Before actually learning how to make pita bread at home, I used to buy my pita breads.
Obviously, the perfect pita bread is the one baked in a wood fired oven. Just like it’s the case with pizza.
However, not everyone has access to one, me included. The most important thing is that the result is delicious and bears no comparison to those store-purchased ones.
I use a bread machine for making the dough. It saves up time and effort.
If you’re making the dough by hand:
- in a small bowl add the water (at room temperature) and then stir in the yeast;
- leave them for 5 minutes until the yeast dissolves;
- in a bigger bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, and olive oil and mix them together;
- pour the yeast mixture;
- start kneading until you get a sticky dough, shape it into a ball;
When you let the dough rise, don’t forget to cover it with a towel.
After the dough has doubled in shape, just follow the above instructions, there’s nothing to add to them.
The Dough for Pita Bread
As you’ve probably noticed, this is my standard dough recipe.
In order for you to make an idea, this dough is enough for making 3 big round pizzas, which means a lot of pita breads.
You can only use as much as you want and then store it in the fridge. It will continue rising in the fridge. Place it in a bowl and wrap it in foil. Otherwise it will make a hard crust on top.
Or you can make two recipes by making just one dough. That’s exactly what I did.
With the remaining dough, for the first time, I made baguettes by hand.
In fact I made some mini baguettes with poppy seeds and olive oil.
My attempt wasn’t completely successful in the looks department but the flavor was definitely there.
To sum it up
That’s all you have to do in order to make homemade delicious pita bread by hand that’s miles away in flavor from store purchased one.
And while the dough is rising, you can take care of the other ingredients, whether you’re making shawarma, souvlaki, falafel or whatever dish you like.
Knowing how to make pita bread is fulfilling, don’t you think?